tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 29 13:49:35 2000

Re: KLIC: Adhere to

peHruS asks:
:> Klingon word:   Hum
:> Part of Speech: verb
:> Definition:     be sticky
:
: But, do we have an answer to an old question of mine?  How do we
: express in Klingon "adheres to, sticks to"?

I don't recall the old discussion, but how about using {rar} "connect,
attach".  Our only example from canon is a little complicated:

  nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh
   'oH tlhIngan nISwI' beH'e'
  The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor,
   attached to an extended power supply stock. S14

If I've figured this out - I'm always confused seing {-lu'} and {-bogh}
together - this is:

  [nISwI' HIch motlh] [HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq] je lurarlu'bogh
   'oH [tlhIngan nISwI' beH'e']
  A B je lurarlu'bogh 'oH C'e'.
  ("C is an attached A and B.")

"The label is stuck to the book" might be rendered:

  per Hum paq je lurarlu'.
  The sticky label is attached to the book.
  ("The sticky label and the book are attached.")

Depending on context, you might use {bagh} "tie", {muv} "join (physically)",
{tay'} "be together/united", etc.

Does that work?

--
Voragh