tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 28 05:51:43 2000

RE: KLBC: Orientation

jatlh peHruS:

> > mu' {yuvtlhe'} vIpojDI' {be transitive}-law' wot {tlhe'}.

jang SarrIS:
> SovlaHbe' vay'. mu'vam lo'chugh *Okrand* wanI'vam vIleghbe'.

I think peHruS means that {tlhe'} may be transitive, because of the apparent
pun in {yuvtlhe'}.
{yuvtlhe'} is a top (such as on a medicine bottle), the pun being that the
instructions on a medicine bottle top are "push down & turn". Since this use
of "turn" is transitive, Okrand may have been thinking that the object of
the verb {tlhe'} is the thing which is being turned.

jatlh peHruS:
> > chay'
> > qech lurgh
> > pIm vImugh.  Qap'a' wot {qaD}?  loQ jIHvaD qay'.

jang SarrIS:
> choH lurgh. latlh lurgh moj. ghaytan Qapbe' {qaD}. qaDchuqnIS cha'.
> DInglu'taHvIS wa' lurgh neH ghoS. nuq qaD lurghvam?

I, too, don't know why {qaD} ("challenge") would be used to indicate
something turning - maybe peHruS made a look-up error and meant {choH}
("change")?
In addition to using a description with {DIng} as SarrIS suggested, you
could also try {jIr} ("rotate, twirl"). e.g., {QIt jIr} ("it slowly
rotates").

- taD

Back to archive top level