tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 30 23:25:20 2000

Re: chay Doch Do maghmeH tlhIngan Hol lo'lu'?

>peHruS adds to the question more than to the answer:
>
>Shoud I say {wej tlho'ren HIq} or {HIq wej thlo'ren} for 3 quarts(?) of ale?

I can imagine each of them working with a slightly different meaning.

{wej tlho'ren HIq}, sounds like you're counting out an amount of liquor.
It implies to me the same thing as "3 ~liters of ale", quantifying what
is being discussed.

{HIq wej tlho'ren} sounds more like you're specifying a subset of what
liquor is present.  I understand it as "3 ~liters of the ale", using a
partitive phrasing which presupposes that liquor was already the topic
under discussion.

But that's just the impression I get from them.  I don't think I'll be
able to find any examples that support my interpretation, except for a
couple of phrases involving {Hoch}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level