tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 22 12:06:09 2000

Re: jagh / "enemy" in Basque

ghaHbe'wI' wrote:

:There are three ways to say "enemy" in Basque:
: - arerio: this is the general word.
: - etsai: country's enemy during a war, this word includes the meaning
:   of hostility to a collective.
: - izterbegi: enemy refering to one person, saying this word there's a
:   personal enmity.
:And Klingon language? How does {tlhIngan Hol} refers to an enemy? As far as
:I know there's just one word, {jagh}, and it doesn't include more meanings...

Don't forget that we have {jaghla'} "enemy commander"

  ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'
  The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer. TKD

(Kruge and Kirk were {jaghla'} to each other in ST3) as well as {ghol}
"opponent, adversary" which, unfortunately, has never been used in canon
AFAIK.  Here's what I have on how {jagh} has been used.  If you're interested
ghaHbe'wI', see how many different meanings you can distinguish:

  jagh nuH
  enemy weapon  TKD

  jaghpu' yuQmeyDaq
  at/to the enemies' planets  TKD

  jaghpu'lI' DaghIjjaj
  May you scare your enemies! TKD

  jagh luHoHmeH jagh lunejtaH
  They are searching for the enemy in order to kill him. TKD

  jagh DajeymeH nIteb DaSuvrup
  To defeat the enemy, be ready to fight alone. PK

  jagh lucharghlu'ta'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj
  May the bile of the vanquished (enemy) fill your hands! PK

  Dujeychugh jagh nIv yItuHQo'
  There is nothing shameful in falling before a superior enemy
  ("If a superior enemy defeats you, don't be ashamed"). TKW

  Dal pagh jagh
  No enemy is boring. TKW

  ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj [sic!]
  May your enemies run with fear! TKW
[N.B. This is the traditional acceptance upon being asked to serve as
{cha'DIch} in a duel (TNG "Sins of the Father").]

  jaghmeylI' DaghIjjaj, qetjaj jaghmeylI'
  May you scare your enemies, may your enemies run. TKW
[The same phrase in modern standard Klingon.]

  bISutlhnISchugh jaghlI' mInDu' tIbej
  If you must negotiate, watch your enemy's eyes. TKW

  'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
  Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW

  jagh chuH SuvwI'
  The warrior spears the enemy.
  The warrior throws [a spear] at the enemy. KGT

  jagh chuHchu' SuvwI'
  The warrior spears the enemy perfectly.
  The warrior hits the enemy [with a thrown spear]. KGT

  Hoch jaghpu'Daj HoHpu'
  He/she has killed all his/her enemies.
[Idiom used to describe a person who is leading a meaningless, empty life, one
lacking any challenge.] KGT

  Hoch jaghpu'Daj HoHbogh SuvwI' yIvup
  "Pity the warrior who slays all his foes." KGT
[Famous line from the epic poem, {lu qeng} "The Fall of Kang"]

  jagh yIHIv
  Attack the enemy! (all of you) attack the enemy! KGT

  jaghpu' tIHIv
  Attack the enemies! KGT

  jagh tIHIv
  Attack the enemies! KGT

  jaghpu' yIHIv
  Attack the enemies! (youthful error) KGT

  jaghpu' mo' wIyajnIS
  We must understand the enemies' motive. (slang) KGT

  jagh jonlaH vay'
  [untranslated] KGT

: Perhaps Okrand could discover additional words about it in the future, I
: just hope he doesn't suffer Klingon foul mood...

I too would have expected a few more words to refer to different types of
enemies -- just as there are quite a few words to refer to Klingon foul moods.
Well, perhaps in the next book...

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons