tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 18 12:25:52 2000

RE: Thinking the sentence structure

It has long been my belief that Okrand gave us this construction in order to
disambiguate certain adverbial references. This is not a great example, but:

nom pawbogh jaghwIj vISuvrup.

Which is quick, my preparation or his arrival?

pawbogh jaghwIj'e' nom vISuvrup. I am quickly ready to fight my arriving
enemy.
nom pawbogh jaghwIj'e' vISuvrup. I am ready to fight my quickly arriving
ENEMY.

> IF this is what happened, then I guess objects(!) that are
> marked with -Daq might _precede_ an adverbial as well,
> although it does NOT follow that this is (in modern Hol)
> acceptable.

This is a remarkable stretch. Just because {-Daq} and {-'e'} are both Type 5
suffixes doesn't mean that a rule explicitly applied only to {-'e'} should
be extended to {-Daq} without any explanation or usage example from Okrand.

> and IF this is what happened, it would give some weight
> to the theory that Klingons DO recognize suffixes as such
> and DON'T necesserily synthesize them with the root to form
> a new "word"

The suffix certainly changes the grammatical function of the root word. Suv
is a verb. SuvwI' is a noun. SuvwI'mo' is neither an object nor a subject.
You don't need to consider this to be a "new word" in order to recognize
that it now has a function in the sentence defined by its suffix.

> however, this has no bearing on the classification of
> "non-object noun phrases" (NONP), as I see it: it doesn't matter
> whether there's a suffix involved or not, i.e. there is
> indeed no need to seperate "time stamps" from other NONP
> that might include a type five noun suffix.

I agree with the substance of your supposition, though I get to it by
another route. Instead of assuming that Time Stamps are like Type 5 nouns
and refusing to remove them from that class, I initially look at Time Stamps
and notice that they function like Type 5 nouns and add them to that class.
More accurately, I see Time Stamps as a sort of adverbial offering context
for the action of the verb. This is what Type 5 suffixed nouns do as well.

>                                            Marc Ruehlaender
>                                            aka HomDoq
>                                            [email protected]

charghwI'