tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 01 09:37:18 2000

Re: A challenge / charghwI' qaDHom

charghwI':
> "It is not too dark for me to find the path to my home."

I came up with:

/Hurgh chal 'ach juHwIj He vIghoSmeH loQ Qap neH./

[Or should that be /... loQ neH Qap/?  I'm trying to
say "It's only slightly difficult..."]

charghwI':
> Hurghmo' tlhoS juHwIj He vISamlaHbe' 'ach vISamlaHbej.

'ach Hurgh nuq?  Is it okay to say "It is dark",
without specifying what "it" is, as we can in English?
If I were to read your sentence literally, I would
think that the path was dark, e.g. it was a road painted
black.  Of course context makes it clear that it's the
sky that's dark.

(In Chinese, one would literally say, "The sky is dark"
when one is outside and "it" is dark.)

qa'ral:
> charghwI'vo' Doq lamvo' je qechmey puS vInIHtaHvIS, jImugh:
> Hurghbej 'ach juHwIj vIghoS 'e' botbe'lu'.

nuqjatlh?  "While stealing a few ideas from charghwI' and ???,
I translate..."  nuq 'oS /Doq lam/'e'?  "The dirt is red"?
jIyajbe'.  yIQIj!

Interesting how each translation means something slightly
different, and yet all translate the same sentence.

--
De'vID