tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 26 17:15:33 2000

Re: ghung Qov (was Re: talking about the degree of quality of something)

De'vID:
: I was thinking about "freezing" in the sense of temperature, "it's
: freezing outside".

taD Hur          "(the) outside is frozen"
HurDaq taD       "(it's) frozen outside" (à la {peD} & {SIS})
HurDaq taD Hoch  "everything's frozen outside"

: Originally I was going to use <taD(moH)>, but then I realized
: that Klingon might not have this idiomatic usage of freezing"

{taDmoH] means to freeze something else.  "Is freezing" in this sense is
not that different from "be frozen".  BTW, Klingon does have two idiomatic
uses of {taD}, both idioms for "Don't move!":

  yItaD! petaD!
  Be frozen! KCD/KGT

  yItaD'eghmoH
  Freeze yourself! KGT

: I couldn't think of a straighforward way to say "smooth" and "slippery"!

{Hab} "be smooth"

  HurDaq Habqu'; chech rur.  va, chech 'oHbej Hur'e' jay'!
  It's slick as ice out.  Hell, it IS ice outside!

I couldn't find anything for "slippery," but for "slide" you might play
with a word from bat'leth fighting every Klingon is sure to know:

  "To slide the blade of one's *bat'leth* along the blade of the
   opponent's weapon is {DIj}." (KGT p.59)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons