tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 25 07:42:40 2000

Re: meqleH (again)

I can't just sit here and let this kind of speculation go
unchallenged. This is absurd. You might as well consider
{meqleH} to be derived from {meq} and {leH} to say that it
is the device one uses to maintain reason. This could be a
rough equivalent to English slang terms like "equalizer"
and "peace maker". "The guys at the bar are getting a
little out of hand, so I think I'm gonna maintain a little
reason here. Hey guys! Look at this and then get
reasonable!"

wejpuH.

charghwI'

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 02:03:51 -0500 Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:
> ja' Jeroen Vantroyen <[email protected]>:
> >I do know why I'm asking this question. I'm cuurently doing an exam on
> >Klingons. There's only one question I can't answer : "What is the meaning
> >of the word meqleH?". You see why I need to know?
>
> No, I don't see why you need to know.  What is this exam?  Who decides
> whether or not your answer is correct?
>
> The meaning of the word {meqleH} is the one-handed sword that looks a
> lot like a smaller version of a {betleH}, end of definition.  If you
> want to know the meaning of the name of that sword, however...
>
> ja' De'vID:
> >To take a complete stab in the dark, since as everyone has pointed
> >out no one really knows the origin of the word, if I absolute had to
> >guess (in a test situation) I would say <matlh 'etlh> "sword of
> >loyalty" based (very very very loosely) on KGT p 60.  That'll
> >probably fool your examiner, unless your examiner is Marc Okrand.
>
> I was going to suggest the same extremely speculative possibility, with
> an emphasis on the fact that there's no known noun meaning "loyalty".
> The phrase {betleH quv} uses {quv} to make clear that it's the {batlh
> 'etlh} being discussed; {meqleH matlh} is compellingly similar except
> for the lack of a noun counterpart of {matlh}.  It's at least a *little*
> likely that the same archaic usage that gives {betleH} for the present
> {sword of honor} might have had {meqleH} meaning "sword of loyalty".
>
> -- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level