tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 11 18:41:30 2000

RE: KLBC: bovIHlaHbogh HewHom chu'

jatlh juDmoS:

> After I had sent this, I had second thoughts on the
> grammar...so I' decided to send it to you, pagh.
> I couln't find a better translation of "action
> figure" than "movable statuette" Perhaps there is
> a better one, but I'm not familiar with it.
> Still, "little statue" seems to me to imply
> ornamental art, and does not carry the "toy/doll"
> connotation. Still...

It's a little statue. I wouldn't worry too much about the connotation of
ornamental art or toy/doll. I have a few coworkers who have Star Wars action
figures as ornamental art in their offices. I know kids who play with them.
We call them "action figures" because some marketing person told us to. If
Big Toy Company X had called them "movable statuettes", they would not have
sold as well, but we would probably call them "movable statuettes" today.

>  bovIHlaHbogh HewHom chu' chenmoHpu' "Playmates".
> ("Playmates" has created a new action figure.)

<vIH> is "move, be in motion". The <HewHom> can <vIH>, but you can't <vIH>
it. You can <vIHmoH> it if you like, though.

vIHlaHbogh HewHom chu' ...  -OR-
HewHom chu' bovIHmoHlaHbogh ...

> HewHomvam nob vIHevpu'.
> (I received a gift of this statuette.)

This sounds like "I received the statuette's gift".

>  HewHomvammo' jIbwIj vIchoH.
>
> (Because of this statuette, I will change my
> (costume/uniform) hair.)

Huj, 'ach qay'be'.

>  "DreD loqS" vIparHa'qu' !
> (I really like these "dreadlocks"! (on a Klingon)
> (Even though I get this hilarious mental image of a
> Klingon Rasta band...i.e. bob ma'lI')

DaH loQ choghIjchoH . . . :)

> I felt that specifying that I was referring to the
> Alien Combat Series "Klingon" 9-inch action figure
> was uneccessary considering the target audience...

Probably.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ