tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 09 23:28:40 2000

Re: language vs. culture (was Re: Teaching Klingon)

ja' ghunchu'wI':
>I will avoid live food to the best
>of my ability, but I do partake in tbe {qagh ngeb} that is sometimes
>served as an appetizer at qep'a' banquets.  And that's not because it
>makes the experience any more "Klingon" for me.  I do it because it's
>part of the real Klingon *language* community's customs, and because
>to refuse would be antisocial.  The "cultural" aspects that I go along
>with are defined by interactions between real people, not the scripted
>on-screen portrayals of a fictional race.

i don't think i've ever heard such a detached and clinical portrayal of
interest in klingons, ever. again, do the 'interactions between real people'
(especially at a qep'a') and the 'scripted on-screen portrayals of a
fictional race' need to be mutually exclusive? keep in mind thgat you owe
the whole tlhIngan Hol language experience (as well as the qep'a' experience
and everything associated with it) to this 'fictional race'. i don't think
people like a.c. crispin and jan michael friedman try to distance themselves
from the 'klingon experience' when they write their novels. should we think
differently because we are not writing books? is developing the culture of
the klingons any different (or less interesting) than developing the
language? (or is that too much like a star trek nerd for your liking?)
i personally think that half of the appeal of the klingons (for me) is that
they are the most developed alien society in science fiction (and yes, i do
still have the ability to differentiate between fiction and reality, lol),
of which the language is only a part, though an important one.

>I have twice worn a rubber forehead in order to enhance a presentation
>during an evening of entertainment at qep'a'.  It is not particularly
>exciting for me, though I am slowly coming to appreciate how dressing
>as a Star Trek alien can help bring publicity -- and, more importantly,
>potential members -- to the group.

does an interest in other aspects of klingon culture have to have these
kinds of ulterior motives? why can the culture, like the language, not be
enjoyed on its own terms, outside human experience (fictional nature aside)?
don't forget that on a fundamental level the language is fictional too.
here's something to think about: if more than two people speaking a language
elevates it from its fictional status, then does more than two people
dressing up as aliens elevate their appearance above a fictional status?

naturally i'm not trying to push my views onto anyone, i'm just voicing an
opinion. but well . . .