tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 15:10:22 2000

Re: KLIC - qaStaH'a'

jatlh charghwI'

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:58:49 -0800 (PST) Robyn Stewart
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> valmo' chaH 'ej ghaqDI' reH Daj, KLIC vItIv'eghrupmoH.
>
> That is one of the most interesting combinations of
> suffixes I've seen in quite some time. Unless my memory is
> once again failing me, the only time I've seen Okrand
> combine {-'egh} and {-moH} were with stative verbs like
> {jI'IH'eghmoH}, and following the usual rules for {-'egh},
> the prefix implies no direct object. Or was it an
> imperative, like {yItuj'eghmoH}? Toss in the ditransitive
> issue and this gets really spicy. Or messy, depending on
> your perspective.

charghwI', charwI', chaghwI'.  chut tIpab.  KLICvaD cha'logh Hoch
DaqonnIS. wa'logh tlhIngan Hol yIlo'.  wa'logh DI'vI' Hol yIlo'.  chut
Dapabqangbe'chugh vaj KLIC yIteq.  nap, qar'a'?

=Um, that bit's untranslatable unless I say "Will, swill, nil."  Follow
the rules.  For the purpose of KLIC you have to write everything twice,
once in English and once in Klingon.  If you're not willing to follow
the rule, then take off the KLIC.  Simple, no?

>Meanwhile, I think I would have just said, {KLIC
>vItIvrupchoH.} We cause ourselves to do everything that we
>do. That's what free will is all about, and Klingons
>especially understand the concept of responsibility for
>one's choices.

jIQochbe'.  DuHbogh mojaqmey ngengtaHmo' wa' jeSwI', jIreH.  jIlujlaw'.

=I agree.  As one of the participants was experimenting with possible
suffixes, I played.  I seem to have failed.

>> jIjeSbej jIH.  'ach SaghuHnISmoH.  rut mu'meywIj vImughchu'be'.
>>
>> = The picture of the ship in which he fled is on the glass table.

>bIHIgh, jupwI'.
>
> Haw'meH Duj'e' lo'pu'bogh Qov 'oS bey'. Doqbe' raS 'ej
> SuDbe'. bIQ watlh rur. raSvamDaq bey'vetlh tu'lu'.

jIHaw'be' jIH!

= My hovercraft is full of eels.

=====
Qov - pab 'utlh
bI*yahoo* pagh bI*yahoo*be': jISaHbe' jIH.