tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 19 09:26:59 2000

RE: KLBC -- How would you translate this?

jatlh pagh:
>> I read this as "Give me a warship; I intend to
enter the path of danger", or something similar, but
with a few grammatical problems. ...  Overall a nice
first attempt. Keep trying, and let me know if I
didn't quite figure out what you meant. <<

Actually, you're rather close; I'm not surprised that
there were "a few grammatical problems" <g>.

I was quoting John Paul Jones (attempting to, anyway):
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in Harm's
way"

I'd considered adding "Duj nom HInob", but "nom" is an
adverb, and I didn't know how to create the verb "be
fast" from it.  So I went with "great ship" instead,
seeking more to capture the flavor rather than the
literal meaning.  After all, Admiral Jones needed more
than speed <g>.

"Qob He'el" was my attempt at the infinitive verb
phrase "to go in Harm's way"; "the path of danger" was
the closest I could get given the vocabulary in TKD.

I was thinking in English and transliterating, wasn't
I <g>.

One thing strikes me about your suggestion "Qob He
vI'el 'e' vIHech".  Given the concept being expressed,
isn't "'e' vIHech" a bit redundant?  Or is that
something that is added for emphasis?