tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 18 20:38:50 2000

cha'DIch vInId

jatlh pagh:  "Qu'lij yIDel"
vengjonwI' jIH
lengHemey vInab 'ej vIchenmoH
qachmey toy'meH bIQ vIngeH
qachmey joch qul.   qachmey vIQan
veQ vIteq
vengmey QIH SoDmey.   vengmey Qan lam qachmey 'e' vIchenmoH
bIQtIqmey vISeH
'ejDo'mey vInabbe'.   Qu'vam vImaS 'ach vIta'be'
tayqeq ta'qangqu' vay'

jatlh pagh:  "Qu'lij yIDel"
   pagh said  "describe your job"

vengjonwI' jIH
   I am a city-engineer  (civil engineer)

lengHemey vInab 'ej vIchenmoH
   I plan and build routes for voyages
   (plan = design)
   (routes for voyages = roads)
   (I don't specifically say design or build in the next few sentences.
Is it implied by context or must it be said?)

qachmey toy'meH bIQ vIngeH
   I send water to serve buildings
   (I design/build watermains)

qachmey joch qul.   qachmey vIQan
   Fire harms buildings.  I protect buildings.
   (I design/build fire protection systems.)

veQ vIteq
   I remove garbage. (euphemistic)
   (I actually design/build sewer systems,  but no self-respecting
Klingon would say "puchpa'mey vISay'moH",  which is the closest I could
manage)

vengmey QIH SoDmey.   vengmey Qan lam qachmey 'e' vIchenmoH
   Floods damage cities.   Dirt structures protect cities and I build
them.
   (I design/build dams and dykes for flood protection works)

bIQtIqmey vISeH
   I control rivers
   (I design/build river control works)

'ejDo'mey vInabbe'.   Qu'vam vImaS 'ach vIta'be'
   I do not plan (design) starships.   I would prefer to do so but I do
not
   (would "'ejDo'mey vInabbe' 'ach Qu'vam vImas" work better?)

tayqeq ta'qangqu' vay'
   Someone must be willing to accomplish civilization
   (Someone has to keep the place running)
   (I really like this last line, particularly qu' as must.  Am I
completely off-base or is there hope for me?)

Incidentally,  I now notice,
would:     tayqeqjonwI'
instead of:     vengjonwI'
be better for civil engineer?