tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 10 07:29:36 2000

RE: Klingon Music

ja' veS joH:

> This may have already been covered, but there was an episode of TNG where
> Worf is in a bar and requests the woman at the instrument simialr to a
> synthesiser or whatever, to play a portion of a klingon opera.  was that a
> BS
> thing they did just for the sake of the show, or did some work go into
> that
> on the nonave scale?

	We have never been given an official explanation for the way Klingon
music works.  We know the names of the notes, and we have hints; that these
notes form a 'nonave' which is not the same as an 'octave'.  We don't know
what a 'nonave' is though.  We also know that Klingons find Terran music to
be very dissonant.  Anyone who writes Klingon music at this point in time,
is on their own.  I like my own method, and will continue to use it until I
either see a method I like better or there is some official word on how
Klingon music is supposed to work. (i.e. from Okrand).  It's fun to
speculate, but the scales and ideas that have been presented here are not
canon.

	- tuv'el

Back to archive top level