tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 19 21:17:15 2000

Grammar Highlight (possessing space)

Disclaimer:  This is a highlight, not an exhaustive approach to learning
Klingon.  Some of the words below have other uses.

In Klingon, words referring to places are nouns, e.g., retlh = area beside,
'em = area behind, tlhop = area in front, Dung = area overhead, bIng = area
below, etc.

While nouns usually take a noun suffix type 5 to indicate my ---, your ----,
his ----, etc., when the noun refers to a "relative position," another
grammar form is correct in all but the Sakrej region.

jIH 'em = the area behind me (jIH = I, me; 'em = area behind)
SoH retlh = the area beside you (SoH = you (singular), retlh = area beside)
ghaH tlhop = the area in front of him/her (ghaH = he, she, him, her; tlhop =
area in front)
maH Dung = area above us (maH = we, us; Dung = area overhead)
tlhIH joj = between you (tlhIH = you (plural); joj = area between)
chaH bIng = the area below them (chaH = they, them; bIng = area below)

Qapla'

peHruS

Back to archive top level