tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 19 08:07:16 2000

Re: help me explain

malqa wrote:

> I don't believe that there are 2 *styles.* There is only one *correct* way
> to write tlhIngan Hol. I don't accept Paramount Hol. and I'm trying to
> teach others to follow the tlhIngan Hol but I need to explain the grammer
> rule . It has nothing to do with what style I prefer to use. My feeling is
> that if you're going to use Klingon words, write them correctly in
> tlhIngan Hol.Some of the folks I"m trying to teach don't know the rules.
> Respectfully,
> malqa

I understand that you're trying to explain the rules, but please remember that
the names you're talking about for the most part were approved by the people who
OWN THE SHOW, and who nothing about the language invented by Dr. Okrand and
promulgated and promoted by the KLI.  Now, I understand that the issue of show
ownership doesn't matter a hill of beans within the internal logic of the
tlhIngan culture, but it is a reality that most of the people we encounter while
'playing' Klingon know  or care little or nothing about tlhIngan Hol.  If
they're _interested_, point them toward the first four lessons of the postal
course in tlhIngan Hol which are available from the KLI website.

If you're trying to teach them the rules, get one of the several guides
available online to do so, but don't try to correct the names that are being
used on the show.  I don't care how well meaning you are, you're only going to
piss off people who've come to identify with/love a particular character.  Let's
face it, _Worf_ isn't a tlhIngan name, either -- it would be wor'Iv.  If their
trying to pick names, point them at the TKD and associated books, and have them
select qualities their name should represent.

I chose "qu'qul" for two reasons -- one, it means "Fierce Fire" which is very
Klingon, and two, it has an echo of "CuChulain" the greatest hero in Celtic
history, whom I admire greatly, for he was forced to kill his best friend in
combat, to fulfill an oath and end a war.  So desirous was he of not appearing
weak, and so fearsome was his face, that when he tied himself to a tall stone so
he wouldn't fall over when he died, no one would approach for a long time, for
fear he was just waiting for them.  Sounds Klingon to me!

qu'qul

Back to archive top level