tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 18 23:52:35 2000

Re: KLBC: sentence structure question

ja' De'vID:
>(My understanding is that /Hoch tIvwI'/ is "each fan" and
>/Hoch tIvwI'pu'/ is "every fan", but this seems to
>contradict the above examples.  yIQIj!)

Because I haven't seen this answered yet, I've decided to jump in.  Your
understanding is close, but it has a flaw that's just barely enough to
keep you from expressing your attempted sentence perfectly.

{Hoch tIvwI'} is indeed "each fan", which is essentially the same thing
as "every fan".  It considers the fans as individuals, and can be viewed
as talking about them one at a time.

{Hoch tIvwI'pu'} is interpreted as "all fans".  It lumps them together
in a group, and applies the sentence more to the collection than to the
separate members.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level