tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 07 16:53:49 1999

Re: KLBC: Quote

muchwI' maw' wrote:

: I'd like to use a quote from Kahless as my part of my signature.
: The quote is this:
:    may' QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh, vaj Qaplu'be'
:    'ej wo' toDmeh may' mevlu'chugh, vaj lujlu'be'
: And it should mean :
:   "Destroying an empire to win a battle is not victory
:    and ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat".
: Apparently I couldn't find a way to translate the "ing" form so
: I used an impersonal subject... or sort of.

The quotation from Kahless is actually: "Destroying an empire to win a war
is no victory, and ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat" (DS9
"The Way of the Warrior").  Fortunately, Marc Okrand has translated this
for us in "The Klingon Way" (p. 211).

  noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu' 'ej wo' choqmeH
  may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'.

You were on the right track.  I'll let BG pagh explain the difference
between {-be'lu'} vs. {-lu'be'} and {'ej} vs. {vaj}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level