tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 30 17:59:11 1999

RE: KLBC: <Las Vegas>Daq lengwIj

jatlh tuv'el:

> mu'tlheghmeyvam vImughneS:
>
> ja' pagh:
>
> > After a lovely dinner of qagh and bloodwine, here's how I
> > might respond to some typical questions:
> >
> > nuq DaSop? - qagh vISop.
>
> What did you eat? - I ate gagh.

maj. Note the past tense - "ate". You know I'm done with dinner from
context, so you know to use past tense.

> > jIHvaD Qe' yIchov. - 'ey qagh, 'ach loQ bIrmo' SopwI'pa',
> > nom bIrchoH 'IwHIq. nom yItlhutlh.
>
> Evaluate the restaurant for me. - the gagh was delicious, but
> because the dining area was a little cold, the blood-wine got
> cold fast.  Drink quickly.

pup.

> > wagh'a' 'uQlIj? - ghobe'. wa'maH cha' DarSeq neH poQ jabwI'.
>
> Was your dinner expensive? - No. The waiter asked for only
> twelve darseks.

maj.

> > Qe' chu' wIghoS. ghotlhej. - Qo', jupwI'. jISoppu'.
>
> We are going to a new restaurant. Come with us. - I
> won't, my friend. I have eaten.

maj. You could easily say "I have already eaten" in this situation.

> > much Dabejrup'a'? - HIja', bang. jISoppu'mo' ('ej
> > jItlhutlhpu'mo') ghaytan jIQongchoH. jIchuSchoHchugh,
> > HIqIp.
>
> Are you ready to watch the presentation ? - Yes, love. I'll
> probably get sleepy, because I've eaten (and have drunk.)
> Hit me if I become noisy.

<QongchoH> is not just "get sleepy", it's "fall asleep".

>>> jaHpu' je be'nalwI' puqbe'wI' je.
>>
>> maj. DutlhejlaHDI' qorDu'lIj, QaQbej wanI'.
>
> Good. It's good when you can be with your family.

bIqar. maj.

>> DaH jIQop. juHwIj vIchegh.
>
> Now I'm worn out. I'm returning to my home.

maj. You could be a bit less literal with the second sentence - "I'm going
home".

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ