tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 22 16:29:56 1999

Re: Klingon WOTD: baqghol (n)

Holtej wrote:

: Klingon word:   baqghol
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     [bahgol]
:
: Additional Notes:
: KGT.  A type of liquor, usually fatal to non-Klingons.

Where is this stated in KGT?  (I've said it before and I'll say it again:
I'd give serious money for a comprehensive index to KGT!!)

Here is all I have on *bahgol*:

"... many native Klingon alcoholic drinks have names that do not contain
the word {HIq}. Among these are ... {baqghol} ("bahgol"), consumed heated
and out of rather small glasses ..." (KGT p. 95)

"Since certain drinks are typically associated with certain containers,
saying the type of drink plus {HIvje'} indicates the type of cup or glass
as well ... {baqghol HIvje'} ("bahgol cup")." (KGT p. 98)

And here's the definition of *bahgol* from the official Paramount Star
Trek: Continuum Library Computer, the "Klingon Miscellany" section:

"A Klingon beverage (pronounced 'BACK-goal'). Long-time Trill friend Curzon
Dax and the Klingon Kang first shared this drink at the Korvat colony,
prior to the Klingon-United Federation of Planets detente--presumably
before the Khitomer Accords began in AD 2293. Much later, Deep Space Nine's
Science Officer, Jadzia Dax, offered it to her three Klingon comrades
(Kang, Koloth and Kor) before their 'blood oath' mission. It is served warm
in small saki-like glasses by custom. One loose translation may be
'opponent's fire.' (Reference: Blood Oath)"

Except for STC's *very* loose translation (!), there's nothing about it
being fatal to non-Klingons.  It may well be true, but we have seen Trills
drink it and survive.

I think Holtej may have confused {baqghol} with the type of {Dargh} used in
the Klingon tea ceremony, which Dr Polaski did say was fatal to humans, at
least without an antidote.  This is tea also mentioned in KGT (p. 96f):

"Though one may drink tea at any time, Klingons observe a very solemn Tea
Ceremony in which a tea that is somewhat toxic (for a Klingon--but quite
deadly for humans) is both prepared and consumed according to certain
ritualistic procedures. During the Tea Ceremony, two friends drink the tea
partly as a test of bravery and partly as a reminder of the Klingon maxim
that `death is an experience best shared.'"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level