tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 24 20:08:15 1999

Re: Verbs of thinking

ja' Holtej:
>We've had discussion of verbs of saying, but I'm wondering about the
>correct usage of
>verbs of thinking.  To say "the captain yelled, 'stop'", one would write
>{jach HoD, jatlh
>"mev"} or some such.  But how would one convey "the captain thought,
>'stop'", when there's
>no speaking going on?  Probably this applies to {SIv} as well.

ghuy'cha' - jISovbe'chu'!  jatlhlu'be'chugh, Qapbe'law' jatlhmeH wot.

It seems to me that unless there is an actual utterance, a quote of any
sort might not be appropriate.  Perhaps the Klingon language reflects a
wider separation between thought and speech than English does.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level