tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 23 16:20:51 1999

Re: mojaq <-jaj> <-ghach> <-ta'> je

ja' qa'ral:
>jatlh pagh:  <-jaj> is found in the appendix.
>
>jatlh voragh:  <-ghach> has its uses, but they are fairly rare.
>
>These <mojaqmey> are unknown to me.  What types are they, and how are they
>used?

They're both Type 9 Verb suffixes.  Their use is described in TKD.  If
you still don't understand them after reading the description, ask again.

>jatlh qultoQ:  wa'leS vIchoHqa'ta'; wa'leS QaQchoHta'.
>jang ter'eS:  Good use of time stamp and aspect!
>
>I don't quite grasp the aspectual use of <-ta'> in either phrase.  I would
>have read the first as saying that changes will be resumed and completed
>simultaneously.

The suffixes can be interpreted as applying to other suffixes, not just to
the root verb.  The {-ta'} here indicates that the {-qa'} "resume" is (or
will be) accomplished.

>I'm not sure whether the second means "It will become good" or "It will
>*have* become good"--or is there no difference in Klingon?

There indeed is a difference.  Expressing the difference is exactly what
the use of a perfective aspect suffix, either {-ta'} or {-pu'}, is for.
The first, "it will become good", is talking about an event.  You can
point to a moment in time and say "That is when it will become good."
The second, "it will have become good", is talking about something more
like a state.  You can point to any time after the event has occurred and
say "It has become good."

Back to archive top level