tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 22 08:27:12 1999

Re: mojaq <-jaj> <-ghach> <-ta'> je

>jatlh pagh:  <-jaj> is found in the appendix.
>jatlh voragh:  <-ghach> has its uses, but they are fairly rare.
>These <mojaqmey> are unknown to me.  What types are they, and how are
they used?

\-jaj/ is /may\, as in /may you die a virgin\ or /may they lose their
nostrils\[tlhon|chaj chIl|jaj] and it is type 9; noting that the type 7
aspect maker\-ta'/ is not used with \-jaj/;

\-ghach/ is known as the nominalizer, it is also type 9, but its use is
much more obscure and rarely used[and normally to be avoided if can use
verbs instead] its purpose is to turn verbs into nouns;
examples being:
\lo'/[use{noun}] \lo'/[use, make use of]
\lo'|laH|ghach/[value{noun}]
\lo'|laH|be'|ghach/[worthlessness]

\naD/[commendation] \naD/[commend]
\naD|Ha'|ghach/[discommendation]
\naD|qa'|ghach/[re-commendation]

[[note: in the above example in TKD, it says \naDqa'gha'ch/ i'm assuming
this is a typo, yes?]]

>jatlh qultoQ:  wa'leS vIchoHqa'ta'; wa'leS QaQchoHta'.
>jang ter'eS:  Good use of time stamp and aspect!
>I don't quite grasp the aspectual use of <-ta'> in either phrase.  I
>would have read the first as saying that changes will be resumed and
>completed simultaneously.
wa'leS vIchoHqa'ta'[tomorrow, it will again have been fixed],
approximately at least, teh aspect marker simply indicates that the
action is not ~right now~ taking place, and the \wa'leS/ states that the
/not right now\ will be tomorrow;
[[is my explanation syncing with the veterans' golden input?]]

>I'm not sure whether the second means "It will become good" or "It will
*have* become >good"--or is there no difference in Klingon?

is there a difference in english?
not really when you think about it;
/it will become dead\ or /.it will have died\, is simply really a matter
of passive versus active voice, which is a subtlety english could do
without and tlhIngan Hol[i believe] overlooks;

-qultoQ

>qa'ral

The person is smart.
People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals...
[email protected]

Back to archive top level