tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 21:06:09 1999

Re: KLBC: an ancient battle

I do not consider *tlhargh* to be a word. It is one syllable in
a polysyllabic noun which is one of two words used together to
refer to a class of space ships. Until Okrand tells us
otherwise, there is no way of knowing that even if it WERE a
noun that it even means "scout". It is just the name of a class
of ships. It could mean the Klingon equivalent of "squirrel" for
all we know. "Thing that is small and runs around out in front
of the larger ships". Whatever. Some Fed speaker looked at the
term for the ship, looked at the ship, considered what the ship
is used for and considered it to be a "scout". That doesn't mean
the word means "scout".

It only exists in the larger term {bI'rel tlharghDuj}. As an
aside, it is probably a pun on "Lewis and Clark", (Lewis and
tlhargh) two famous scouts. But until Okrand tells us it is a
word unto itself, it isn't. peHruS is right to be cautious about
it.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:05 -0800 (PST) [email protected]
wrote:

> In a message dated 3/25/1999 5:03:40 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> <<
>  All that being said, there are now two good candidates for a "scout" in
>  Klingon: *{tlhargh} or *{tlharghwI'}.  On the BoP poster we read {bI'rel
>  tlharghDuj} "B'rel Scout".  At this time, we don't know what part of speech
>  *{tlhargh} is, so we can't sure of the final form, or even if it survives
>  in the "modern" language.   >>
> Due to the rules re: noun-noun construct, may we assume that {tlhargh} is a
> noun?
>
> peHruS

Back to archive top level