tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 02:13:43 1999

Re: Aspect

In a message dated 3/21/1999 8:58:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Meanwhile, you are the only one for whom TKD's descriptions of Klingon
 grammar are not enough.  Well, that's not really true; there are many points
 of Klingon grammar that are not clear, and we are still struggling to
 understand.  But aspect isn't one of them.  You alone seem to fail to
 understand.  That is, you alone persist in failing to understand.  Most
 people who are starting out with the language stumble at this point, because
 it's so unlike English.  But they try, they get corrected, they practice
 some more, and then the get it and move on.

 Get it and move on. >>
Let's put it this way:  If KLI as a corpus wishes to regard the perfective as
completed action, regardless of what lingusitics textbooks say, because that
is what MO has given us in TKD, I am quite willing to accede.  I will go along
with {-ta'}'s being another form of perfective, only with intention.  {-taH}
and {-lI'} will not be "imperfective" to me any longer; they will merely be
"continuous."

We can move on.

peHruS

Back to archive top level