tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 25 06:04:44 1999

Poetry (was Re: bogh veng noy'Ighrov)

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Alan Anderson wrote:

> What is it about the Klingon language that compels people to try to
> write epic poetry in it?

The pure challenge, Alan, the pure challenge.

I see your point, though. I think I'll just write the story out in English
and submit it to jatmey or Fire & Steel that way.

> I'd like to close by pointing out one thing:
> >Someone (I believe it was Voragh) stated that today was the {batlh jaj},
> >the Day of Honour. Thank Kahless for the distance which seperates us. Such
> >is my anger at the insult to my pride that I'd challege either of both of
> >you to the {Suv batlh}, the Honour Combat, if could.
>
> Your phrase {Suv batlh} is in the wrong order for "Honour Combat", and
> {Suv} is a verb, not a noun.  Simple errors like that are very clear
> signs that you will frustrate both yourself and anyone trying to help
> you if you try to produce more than paragraph or two of a story at your
> present demonstrated level of proficiency.

Well, I pulled that word order from the novel _Day_of_Honor_. The book
maynot be considered canon, but what phraes there were *seemed* acurate.

> --
>   Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist
>     proud member of the Klingon Language Institute since 1995
> qo'mey poSmoH Hol -- language opens worlds -- /

quljIb, lutbomwI'

Back to archive top level