tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 16:49:01 1999

RE: KLBC: Proverbs

jatlh quljIb:

> mang Qupbogh jat jagmoH HIq; burghDaj tummoH yuch.

> "Ale emboldens a young warrior's tongue;
> chocolate quiets his stomach."

grammatical mistake. <mang Qupbogh jat> means "The soldier's tongue which is
young". Since the *soldier* is the young one, you want either <mang Qup jat>
or <Qupbogh mang jat>.

> jev'e' yIghoHQo';
<ghoH> is defined as "argue, dispute", so it (probably) can't take as an
object the person you're arguing with. Instead of <ghoH>, I suggest either
<SIQvIp> or <Haj>. Both seem to capture the spirit of the saying well, I
think.

> peDta'DI' wam 'e' ngeDmoH law' ghaH.

Good use of perfective here, but I don't think the sky (or whatever the
implied subject of <peD> is) can *intentionally* snow, so use <-pu'> instead
of <-ta'>.

The rest of the sentence is a bit weird. I assume the separate <law'> is a
typo and meant to be a suffix (otherwise, I have *no idea* what it means).
It looks like you're trying to say "it makes it easier to hunt", but it
comes out awkwardly. To make it a bit clearer, take another look at your
English - "hunting is easier". Instead of something involving <ngeDmoH>,
just make the hunt the subject of plain old <ngeD>. I'd also add <-choH> -
the hunting becomes easier as a result of the snow. Finally, trying to talk
about an activity like hunting as a noun in Klingon is ... difficult. It
probably involves a <-meH> clause, and it's often better to just rethink the
whole sentence. In this case, though, we have a noun - <chon> - which means
"hunt", and it's perfect here:

peDpu'DI, ngeDchoH chon.

> "Do not argue with the storm;
> when it is finished snowing, hunting is easier."

teH'a'? vengwIjDaq, tlhoS not peDmo', ngervam vItoblaHbe'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level