tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 08 15:31:07 1999

Re: yIt

[email protected] writes:

<< ja' T'Lod:
 ><< juH vIghoS. jIyIt.
 >  >>

 >Why not just say:
 >juHDaq jIyIt.

 Because that is at least as likely to mean "I walk at home" or
 "I walk in the home".  It's certainly not as clearly expressed
 as the {juH vIghoS; jIyIt} that charghwI' suggested.  Although
 one might be able to interpret the two sentences as indicating
 a sequence, the important idea of going home is unmistakable.
 To be more certain of being understood, one could make one of
 the sentences into a clause tied to the other one:

 juH vIghoStaHvIS jIyIt.
 juH vIghoS jIyIttaHvIS.
 juH vIghoSmeH jIyItlI'.
 jIyIttaHmo' juH vIghoSlI'.

 -- ghunchu'wI' >>

How should -Daq be interpreted to get my point across without many stares from
the Klingons?  The verbs of motion seem to be a stumbling point in that
regard.  Also, when used without a motion-verb, how should the noun+Daq
construction be interpreted?

T'Lod

Back to archive top level