tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 19:49:48 1999

Re: Aspect

ja' peHruS:
>I've been hoping that the aspect marker {-taH} does not mean that the
>absolutely must be perpetual, just ongoing.  But, how do you KNOW?

How do we KNOW?  TKD page 43:
| The suffix {-taH} "continuous" can be used whether there is a
| known goal or not.

>Still, if I say:  {qaStaHvIS vagh jajmey, matlhutlhtaH}, would not the Klingon
>inference be that we drank non-stop day and night until all five days had
>passed?

I wouldn't focus on a "non-stop" idea, just an "ongoing" one.  If you want
to say something about non-stop, you should probably go ahead and *say* it:
{matlhutlh 'e' wImevbe'.}

>If this is true, we have not yet settled the problem of "intermittent" action.

To exactly what problem of "intermittent" action are you referring?

Back to archive top level