tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 03 08:39:41 1999

Corrections from peHruS

1)  Since the pronoun {'e'} is used primarily with verbs of "seeing, knowing,"
I, too, do not know if I should have used it with {Sap} "volunteer."  TKD p65.

2)  Since SAOs using {'e'} always take a prefix indicating a third-person
singular object, {'e' qara'} cannot be acceptable.  TKD p65.

3) MO says that verb pronominal prefixes INDICATE the subject and the object.
Perhaps he does mean that these prefixes ARE the subject and object as well,
without having said so explicitly.  "When the subject and/or object is first
or second person, the prefix on the verb must be the proper one."  TKD p60.
To my mind, this still does not prove that INDICATE means EQUALS; but, for
convenience we just might be able to avoid argument by ASSUMING that
pronominal prefixes wholly take the place of the implied-but-not-necessarily-
written/spoken subject.  "puq vIlegh jIH.  jIH mulegh puq.  Actually, the
first- and second-person pronouns are seldom used in sentences of this
type......"  TKD p60.

peHruS

Back to archive top level