tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 05 12:53:01 1999

RE: LISTvamDaq jIchu'

Welcome to the list, Clayton. My name is pagh, and I am the current
Beginners' Grammarian. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it
for my attention with a KLBC in the subject line.

jatlh Clayton:

> Clayton jIpong
<pong> is a verb meaning "name, call", and it has a rather tricky grammar.
The simplest way to say "My name is Clayton" is <Clayton 'oH pongwIj'e'>.
This sentence uses the pronoun <'oH> as a verb meaning (basically) "is". See
TKD 6.3 (page 67) for more on this.

> tlhIngan Hol vIghojqang
maj.

> wa'maH chorgh ben
wa'maH chorgh ben qaS nuq?

It looks like you're trying to say "I am eighteen years old". You got
"eighteen years ago", but you did not relate it to yourself. The typical way
we say this is:

wa'maH chorgh ben jIbogh - I was born eighteen years ago.

> Holmey vIparHa' 'ej Holvam vIparHa'qu'
maj.

> tuQaHlaH'a'
HIja'. ghojwI'pu' chu' DIQaHqangqu'taH.

> DaH Satlho'
qatlh jutlho'? Klingon is a little different than English about these
things. Common expressions of courtesy, such as "hello", "nice to meet you",
"please", "thank you", etc. are just not used in Klingon. Klingons value
directness, and the absence of courtesies like this is not considered
impolite or rude.

Overall a very good first message. It's certainly better than mine all those
years ago. maSachmo' mataH. majQa'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ