tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 01 03:57:12 1999

Re: Qa'Hom qaDHom (KLBC)

In a message dated 6/28/1999 10:56:05 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< < DubDaq QottaH Saj. >>

 peHruS:
 : chay' qechvam wIDelnIS?=A0 nuq 'oH mIw lugh'e'?

 I no longer have mupwI's original post so I'm not sure as to which {mIw}
 peHruS
 is referring (but that won't stop me from commenting!).  Is the question
 whether "the pet is lying on its back" should be: >>
===================
My point is that the suffix {-Daq} refers to a place in a locative manner.  I
think that {targh DubDaq ghew tu'lu'} is okay.  This shows that the bug is
ON/AT the targ's back.  I do not like, however, "lying on its back" being
expressed by {DubDaq Qot}.  I have a problem:  I translate this as "lying on
[someone else's] back."  I cannot conceive of an entity lying down upon its
own back as the place of lying down.  You see, I cannot escape from my own
body and subsequently lie down on the back part of my own body.  {DubwIjDaq
ghopwIj vIlan} is okay.

Challenge:  How do we say "lying on one's back"?  My answer is way below.

peHruS

Qot targh.  ravDaq 'oHtaH DubDaj'e'.

Back to archive top level