tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 30 23:00:11 1999

Re: KLBC: jIjat

ja' SuStel:
>In an {X-taHvIS Y} situation, you know the following:
>
>(1) X is continuous, because it has the {-taH} suffix.

The fact that X is continuous isn't all that relevant.  It's got
the {-vIS} suffix, which requires {-taH} along with it; using the
{-vIS} only works when the action is an ongoing one.

>(2) Y is not continuous, and it is not completed.

We don't really know this.  TKD page 40:  "The absence of a Type 7
suffix *usually* means that the action is not completed and is not
continuous [emphasis added]."

>If you want Y to be continuous or completed, you have to use the appropriate
>suffix, for instance:
>
>X-taHvIS Y-taH.

If you want Y's aspect to be explicitly noted, you need to use the
correct suffix.  If the aspect is unimportant, you don't *have* to
explain it.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level