tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 30 10:19:16 1999

Re: chay' Dochmey vIjatlh?

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:17:16 -0800 (PST) K'ryntes
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Andeen, Eric wrote:
>
> > lab K'ryntes:
> >
> > > chay' <more> vIjatlhlaH?
> > > *lutmey <more> vIqonnIS* vIjatlh vIneH.
> >
> > The word <latlh> is just what you want. <latlh> is one of those words like
> > <Hoch> that gets treated a little differently in the N-N construction - it
> > goes in front of the other noun. "More stories" or "other stories" would be
> > <latlh lutmey>.
>
> So <latlh lut> would mean an additional story?Does <latlh> mean "others" too?
> As in <latlhvaD jIvum.>.  I've seen it used that way.  That would be, "I work
> for others."

{latlh} is one of those rare nouns that can take a plural suffix
that will be different depending upon whether it represents a
person or a thing. You passed up a good opportunity to say
{lathpu'}, obviously indicating that you work for other PEOPLE
and not other THINGS.

> K'ryntes :)
> > pagh
> > Beginners' Grammarian