tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 10 19:43:58 1999

Re: Hoch

Voragh jang jey'el:

>> Okrand explained this in HolQeD 5.2.  {Hoch} *precedes* the noun it modifies.
>>  If the noun following {Hoch} is explicitly plural, it means "all"; if it is
>> singular, it means "each".
>>  ...[chovnatlhmey law'qu' vInop]...
>>   - rut yIHmey ghom Hoch
>>  	 Everyone encounters tribbles occasionally. TKW
>>   - nIn Hoch natlhlu'pu'
>>  	 All the fuel has been consumed. KGT
>>   - Hoch DuH yIqel
>>  	 Consider every possibility! [KGT 108]
>>   ...[chovnatlhmey law'qu' vInopqa']...
>
>chutvam bIv wa' chovnatlhlIj: {nIn Hoch}.

Good eyes!  The {nIn Hoch} example is neither "all fuels" nor "each fuel".
This usage and the trailing {HochHom} used on Skybox S14 give us another
way to interpret the word.  {nIn Hoch} is "all _of_ the fuel", and on the
Skybox card {HochHom} refers to "most _of_ (the 23rd century)".  They are
not counting objects, they are describing a part of a single object.  We
have yet to see {'op} or {pagh} used after a noun, so we don't know if it
works that way in general.  And we haven't actually gotten an official
description of why {nIn Hoch} and {vatlh DISpoH cha'maH wej HochHom} are
the way they are.  But it makes sense, and SuStel is very good at arguing
that that's the way it *should* be. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level