tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 29 05:34:55 1999

Re: Star Trek : Klingon! CD-Rom Game observation

jatlh juDmoS:
> pIj *KCD* vIQujpu'. reH munuQpu' vIDellaHbe'bogh vay'. DaH jIyaj. narghDI'
> romuluS HoHwI', "petaD" jatlh Pok vav. *Terran colloquialism* 'oH', qar'a'
?
> ("Everybody freeze!"?).

HIja'.  'a 'oH QIjpu' Okrand.  <qIb lengwI' tlhIngan Hol> yInuD.

In KGT, Okrand explains that there is a Klingon idiom, {petaD}, which means
"Don't move!"  If you said {petaD'eghmoH}, you'd be saying "Freeze
yourselves!" and it would be taken literally.

This is also where Okrand explains that whenever you use a verb of quality
in an imperative form, you use {-'egh} and {-moH} with it.  Just an
"arbitrary" rule of the language you've got to follow.

> I was reminded of a few Terran "gangster" movies, and thought of a couple
of
> lines that I thought would be humorous in a similar Klingon usage. What do
> you make of these?
>
> DungvaD peSIch ! (Everybody reach for the sky !)
> and my own favorite:

That'd be "Reach for the benefit of the sky!"  What you mean is, I think,
{chalDaq peSIch}.  {DungDaq peSIch} could also work.

> Hewmey tIrur ! (Everybody make like statues !)

mu'tlheghvetlh vIparHa'.

> I realize that a phrase like "Everyone, be frozen" could be interpreted as
> "Do not move" in any civilization, but I was bored, and wanted to nitpick.

It's a valid objection, but has already been addressed by Okrand.

SuStel
Stardate 99992.0

Back to archive top level