tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 13 09:57:46 1999

RE: KLBC: The Klingon Hamlet?

jatlh De'vID:

> "Christmas" cha'nob vIje'meH, "amazon.com" vISuch.  pa'
> memvam vIlegh:
>
> I was surfing at "amazon.com" to buy Christmas presents.
> I saw the following (catalog) entries:

<mem> is "catalog", so it doesn't really work for a single catalog entry.
For that, you'd have to say something like <memDaq Dochvam vIlegh>.

> Doch wa' / Item #1
> The Klingon Hamlet

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671035789/o/qid=944998921/sr=8-1/002
-2163916-7053056

> nuq 'oH paqvam'e'?  qonpu' KLI beqpu'?
> What's this book?  Is it by the KLI?

HIja'. paqvam qonbej tlhIngan Hol yejHaD.

> Doch cha' / Item #2
> The Klingon Dictionary - by William Shakespeare???

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067174559X/qid=944998945/sr=1-1/002-2
163916-7053056

> qatlh tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom qonpu' <William Shakespaeare>
> 'e' 'agh <website>?
> Why does the website say that William Shakespaeare [sic] wrote TKD?

jISovbe'chu'.

> ghaH 'Iv <Dave Stern>'e'?
> Who is "Dave Stern"?  (Not sure if I have the word order right here.)

You don't. Unlike English, Klingon doesn't alter its word order at all for
questions. <'Iv> and <nuq> go in exactly the same place their answer would
go:

'Iv ghaH <Dave Stern>'e'?

'ej <Dave Stern> vISovbe' jIH.

> "amazon.com website"Daq Qagh'a'Hey tu'lu'!
> There seems to be a major blunder on the amazon.com website!
> (Can you use -Daq on a website?)

HIja'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian