tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 11 12:17:11 1999

Re: Klingon WOTD: rar (v)

Holtej:
> Klingon word:   rar
> Part of Speech: verb
> Definition:     connect
>
> Canon:
> S14
> {tlhIngan nISwI' beH}
> {nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH tlhIngan
> nISwI' beH'e'.  SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna'
> ghurmoH naQvam.}
>
> Klingon Disruptor Rifle
> The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor, attached
> to an extended power supply stock.  This serves to steady the aim of
> the warrior and increase the effective range for distance targeting.

Mark Riser:
: What is the canon source for this word?

SkyBox Special Klingon Card no. S14 (T.N.G. EPISODES SERIES [3rd SEASON]):
"Klingon Disruptor Rifle".  It was published by the KLI in HolQeD (4.3:5).
There are nineteen of these cards known to date, each one carrying the
following fine print: "TRANSLATION PROVIDED BY MARC OKRAND, AUTHOR OF THE
KLINGON DICTIONARY."

ghunchu'wI' once answered another query:

"SkyBox International was a company that made trading cards. Along with the
baseball and auto racing and other sports cards they published, they also
had several series of Star Trek trading cards. At some point, they merged
with Fleer, another major trading card company. They produced a set of
cards for each of the first six seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation,
and each set had a number of "special" cards. Three of the special cards in
each set contain Klingon text and an English translation; the cards give
credit to Marc Okrand for the Klingon. In a couple of cases, we have seen
new vocabulary on the cards before it was mentioned anywhere else. There
are also a few apparent examples of [new] grammatical usage, though it's
hard to be certain from such a small sample. There is also a Klingon
language card in a Deep Space Nine trading card set."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level