tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 30 09:17:08 1999

Re: Help for a newbie, please...

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:24:48 EDT
>
>In a message dated 8/13/1999 6:03:34 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
>[email protected] writes:
>
><< My guess at how to spell something an American would pronounce
> near to this is:
>
> ee-you-lidge jatch-jahdge
>
> That first part might be more accurately written as:
>
> ee--oo >>
>===================
>DaH jIghelnISqu'.  jIHvaD potlh Sengvam!  lughbe'ba' {ee-you} {ee-oo} qoj 'e'
>vIHar.  cha' QIch 'ay'mey lo'be' tlhIngan Hol wa' mu' 'e' vIQub.  I strongly
>believe that Klingon words are one syllable only.  (Not counting
>compound-syllable words such as paQDI'norgh, in which each syllable is still
>a single sound.)

True, but charghwI' was giving the best pronunciation description he could
with the limited tools at hand.  English doesn't have the "Iw" sound, so
he's describing it as "ee-oo", which is pretty close--so long as the oo
part is short.  Okrand did the same thing, saying that "uy" is like the
sound in "gooey", even though "gooey" is two syllables.  charghwI' judged
that the petitioner didn't want/couldn't handle a detailed description, and
did his best with what the petitioner could do.

~mark

Back to archive top level