tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 19 07:27:30 1999

Re: a word a day (was: Re: qepHom-)

Quvar muHwI':
>Think about what I did with my TKD when I started, it's a good practice:
>color the words!
> - verbs in yellow
> - nouns in green
> - suffixes in red
> - anything else in blue.

ghunchu'wI':
: If you do this, make sure you get the part of speech correct!  There are
: a few typographical or editorial errors in TKD and KGT, such as the verb
: {Qaw'} "destroy" being mislabeled as a noun on TKD page 128.

Surely this never confused anyone!  "Destroy" is obviously a verb.  If Okrand
had meant it to be a noun, he would have glossed it with a noun, such as
"destruction".  (I imagine the labels [n, v, etc.] were added later when he
prepared the dictionary for publication.)  The only place a mislabeled entry
could be confusing is in the case of those English words which can be either
nouns or verbs depending on the context -- e.g. "place", "gloss", "label",
"love".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons