tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 16 23:12:31 1999

KLBC Need an opinion of this translation

pagh,

jupwI, qavan,

...I found a copy of the song that I'd taped a while ago, and this is what
my translation efforts have produced.

What follows is the Dirge sung, following Kors' apparent loss in glorious
battle.
Whomsoever knows the name of this episode, please reply. qatlho'.

You can clearly hear Gen. Martok hailing Kor:
" ...to Kor, the Dahar Master!  A noble warrior to the end."

His adjutant begins a solo:
" mI' qul qar'a' "                [Count the fires burning clearly]
" 'eng Do' QI' la' "                 [Clouds of fortune for the mighty
Comander]

An answer from another crewman, in a swelling chorus:
" QI' Do', Sum qarI' Do' QI'la'            [Mighty lucky, I discipline my
hails of fortune to you , military Commanders.]
[(Military fortune, I send you a cautious tale?) ...and actually she was a
mezzo soprano]

Everybody joins in together:
"Sutem pa' rI' tlho': "mara' 'e' qor"   [Hail appreciation thereabout
(through) your silence: "Our Commander Kor."]

" rI'qa' "                ["Hail again..."]
" rI'qa' "                ["Hail again..."]
" rI'qa' "                ["Hail again..."]

" DaSo' pa' qareH "                [You always cloak it thereabouts]
QI' ro'qa'                ["the mighty Fist of the Commander..."]

Softly echoing:
" ro' qa' ..."                ["the Fist of the Commander..."]
'e mezzo:
" ro' qa' ..."                ["the Fist of the Commander..."]
pianissimo:
" ro' qa' ..."                ["the Fist of the Commander..."]
Instumental swell, segue to the DS9 theme.

I have liberally tranlated this back from the original Klingon.
The word 'mighty' is substituted for the literal translation of 'military'
{QI'},
other than that, this makes the most sense from what I heard on the tape.
All words are my interpretation of how I believe the actors read written
tlhIngan Hol,
and are based on 'English' pronunciations, and much guesswork. Guesswork
based upon the comparrisons of many phonemes, and thier possible meanings.
I.E. : "key"={QI'}, "ka-a-a-a" = {qa'}, where "English"={tlhIngan Hol}, etc.
Not all of the grammer is precisely as I have translated it.
I tried to put the English words in modern context & grammar.

Qapla' batlh je.

Qor'etlh valwI'na', Duy'a' Daq marr tuq, ta' tlhIngan may' yo'

qepHom 'utlhHom -
Klingon Language Institute /
{qo'mey poSmoH Hol} Language opens worlds.
[ELINT :#17: tlhIngan wo' Duj Qo'noS qa']
Maybe I'm wrong, but I am always Qor'etlh.
{nuq, vISaH?}  What, me worry?-
{yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej pechep}
{tlhIngan maH!}

PS: ghunchu'wI', if you have already done this one too, please feel free to
comment.
Publicly or privately.
PSS: Official words may have already appeared, but I have not seen them yet.

Back to archive top level