tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 08 23:33:42 1999

Re: Aspect (was RE: KLBC-Fr.)

In a message dated 8/3/1999 9:57:53 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<<
 If one takes TKD's explanation as correct and complete, without trying
 to read anything into it from other sources, one should have no trouble
 understanding it.  A certain amount of initial confusion between tense
 and aspect is expected, since English is so tense-bound and Klingon is
 not, but that confusion should be quickly dispelled with a few examples
 of correct usage.

 Section 4.2.7 of The Klingon Dictionary is the key.  Read it.  Try not
 to apply any preconceived notions based on the terminology it defines.
 Accept it as the authority on Klingon-only aspect. >>
=================
If everyone accepts ONLY TKD 4..7, fine!  But I am getting a lot of flak from
people saying that there are several attachments to what TKD says.  I see
posts stating that aspect used in a dependent clause establish that the
dependent clause was "complete" before the main clause.  I see posts stating
that storytellers must use perfective only if the event was complete prior to
the beginning of the story.  This extra baggage has been rampant since the
discussions regarding Klingon aspect began.

And, just as frustrating is... whenever I use aspect only, no tense
references whatsoever, in Klingon posts, you are one of the first to berate
my usages.

peHruS

Back to archive top level