tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 07:22:46 1999

Re: RE: Rating--WRONG pagh,

You insult me! :) YEs, believe it or not, i can speak many of those
languages enough to hold a conversation
although i am admittedly a little slow now and then.
I probably mislead you when i said a mere glance.. I do read through my
binder/books but i dont pour over them, studying them like a sacred
text.  :):):)
--- "William H. Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 1999 07:05:06 -0400 Eric Andeen
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > jatlh C.J. Miller:
> > > Not true- i stated that 1 would be that a baby
> would
> > > require no training, as in it could be on a
> stranded
> > > island and learn it.
> >
> > nIteb nenchoHchugh puq, vaj not Hol ghoj. vavDaj
> SoSDaj latlhpu' joq
> > tlhejchugh nenchoHtaHvIS, vaj Hol ghojba'.
> ghojnISmoH pagh - 'ach Hol
> > ghojbej.
>
> jIQoch. reH nenwI'Daq SumDI' ghu, ghuvaD jatlhtaH
> nenwI'. Doch
> 'agh nenwI' 'ej Dochvam pong jatlh 'ej jatlhqa'.
> jatlhbe'chugh
> ghu vaj jatlhqa'taH nenwI'. pongvam jatlhDI' ghu,
> latlh Doch
> 'agh nenwI'. tlhoS jatlhDI' ghu, jatlhchu' nenwI'.
> jatlhHa'DI'
> puq jatlhchu' nenwI'. reH puq qeqqa'moHtaH nenwI'.
> jeS Hoch
> nenwI'pu'. <<HolwIj yIghoj!>> neH Hoch nenwI'.
>
> > > Also, it is not that hard to learn them, just
> from
> > > glancing through a binder of mine with stuff i
> have
> > > printed out i have learned some elvish, klingon
> from
> > > the KD and the KLI and other languages from that
> > > binder--just with a mere glance.
> >
> > Holvam Dalo'laHchu''a'? Hol nov neH bojatlhchugh
> SoH, latlh je,
> > SuyajchuqlaH'a'? 'e' vIHonchu'.
>
> vIHon je.
>
> > Can you really use any of these languages well?
> Can you hold a conversation
> > with another person in only that language? I very
> much doubt it.
> >
> > Learning a language - any language - well enough
> to hold a conversation
> > takes work. Even those who have a natural gift for
> languages can't learn
> > another language that is significantly different
> from their own without
> > effort.
>
> The most impressive speaker I've recently met was
> Nick, who
> speaks quite fluently in the sense that he can think
> of the
> right words and affixes at quite a rapid pace. I
> criticised him
> for his vowels, but mean that only very gently. The
> fact is, if
> he spoke slower, I could understand him quite well
> with his
> vowels as he currently uses them, or if he more
> clearly
> differentiated between a, o and u and between I and
> e, then I
> probably could much better understand him even at
> his rapid
> pace. It is the combination that makes understanding
> him
> difficult. I don't have time to sort out in memory
> whether he
> said {qaH} or {qoH}, and in examples like this one,
> [...]

===
" I can see you Kirk.  can you see me?"
     General Chang  Star Trek The Undescovered Country
     "Namárie, Hennaid evyr."
     Quenya/Sindarin for farewell, many thanks
     " They  invade our territory and we fall back.
     They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back.
     The line MUST be drawn here!" Capt.Picard ST:FC