tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 01 18:55:21 1999

Re: ghel pI'lo / KLBC

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999 10:28:31 -0400 [email protected] wrote:

> ja' pI'lo:
>
> >ps. my Klingon name is pI'lo, a pun on "to be fat".

Well, for that, the {lo} would have to be someone's name. "{lo}
is fat".

> pIl'o' was pointed
> >out to me as a pun on "motivated butt" (as an aerobics instructor/person
> >with waaay too many hobbies)

Very interesting.

> Is it permissible to change one's name?

Quite.

> >(what would be a good way of saying, "she who should be doing
> >chores, but procrastinates by studying tlhIngan Hol") }}};-)

Well, you can't say that one in one word in English, either.

Qu'mey ta'nIS be'vam 'ach tlhIngan Hol HaDmo' lum.

tlhIngan Hol HaDmo' lum Qu'mey ta'nISbogh be''e'.

How about just lumwI'. "Procrastinator".

Or ta'nISwI'. "One who much accomplish"

> I find myself thinking perhaps a little crudely that given your profession
> you could use as a name (or maybe a nickname, used behind your back)
> "pIlo'", meaning "we use you."

It occurred to me that if {pI'} were a noun for "fat" instead of
just a verb for fat (and I know it isn't), then {pI' lo'} would
mean to "She uses fat", which would only apply to very
specialized fat, given that there are only a couple places where
this person seems to have any fat, and those probably have
something to do with the name "Pillow", bringing the whole thing
full circle. Downright poetic. That's why I'd even leave the
name alone as first choice, but it is your name and you can do
with it as you like.

> As to changing your name... Hey, it's YOUR name.  It would get exasperating
> if you changed it every week, but who are we to say you can't change it,
> anymore than we can say you can't change your clothes?  I was on this list
> for a very long time before I even too a Klingon name, and no less a figure
> than Qov changed her name (she used to be wovwI').

I almost changed my name to {ramwI'} once and am STILL
considering it, just to remind those who think I'm meglamanic
that I really don't consider myself all that significant.

> I think it's getting to be time I re-subscribe here, instead of reading on
> the web.  When I get some mail stuff worked out...

Either that or choose another full grammarian. I honestly think
the list suffers from neglect by both you and Krankor. I think
there would be less pettiness and flame if a real grammarian
were at the helm.

While as a friend of Maltz, I might be on the short list of
people to fill that role, I'd initially suggest someone else
with a less controversial history, since at qep'a' I had several
people comment on how frustrating I am at times. chaq
ghunchu'wI' DawIv. bajta'. matlh. quv. yIvang!

You and Krankor can still be co-grammarians, given that your
extremely rare contributions are unlikely to conflict with
someone who keeps up with the list more regularly.

> ~mark

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level