tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 30 10:56:29 1999

Re: tlhIngan qachQeD (Klingon architecture)?

qa'ral:
> 2) How would you say *square* (a city square, not the shape).  If nothing
> is known, my suggestion would be <Daq> as in the French *place*.  Thus,
> Place de la Concorde could be <roj Daq> and another well-known square <Daq
> Doq>.

ghunchu'wI':
> {mIch} might work, depending on the context.  {vaS} carries a similar idea,
> if not exactly the same meaning.

Voragh:
> Indeed.  {vaS} is a type of building {qach} while
> squares-plazas-ploshchadi-kikarim etc. are the large open spaces bounded by
> streets between buildings.  {vaS} probably works for vast *enclosed* spaces
> such as indoor markets (e.g. Gostinnyi Dvor and G.U.M....)

quljIb:
: <Suy Daq> "merchant's place" seems appropiate here.

{ngevmeH/je'meH Daq} "selling/buying area" would also work.  But keep in mind
that not all squares are, or were originally, marketplaces.  Some are purely
esthetic, some are used for parades, some for public assemblies/rallies, etc.

: Heard over the intercom:
:
: <Khitomer> lengbogh ghutpu' Hoch yIqIm: jajlo' 'oHpa' bID rep
: Qo'noSvo' ghoS Duj'e'. DaH yItIj.
: "Attention all passengers bound for Khitomer: The ship leaves Qo'noS half
: and hour before dawn. Board now."

Khitomer is {QI'tomer}:

 QI'tomerDaq Heghpu' Hoch
 No one survived Khitomer ("Everyone died at Khitomer"). TKW

{lengwI'} is simpler for "passenger, traveller":

 QI'tomer lughoSbogh Hoch lengwI'pu', peqIm: ... DaH petIj.

{Hoch} means "all" if the noun *following* it is plural, which then forces you
to use the plural imperative prefix {pe-} since you are addressing all of the
passengers as a group.  I also used {ghoS} for variety, so as not to repeat
{leng} in the same sentence.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons