tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 30 11:31:19 1998

RE: KLBC: QoQ ???

Welcome to the list. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian. It's my job to help new people learn Klingon. Whenever you
have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention (as you have
done) with KLBC in the subject line and I will reply.

A note on your name: you are of course free to call yourself whatever
you want, but Klingon titles generally follow names, so I would suggest
<DuS HoD> instead. Of course, there are those who don't follow this
convention, including HoD Qanqor. It's up to you.

lab HoD DuS:

> I know it's not a particularly spectacular way to move from lurker to
> learner, but here goes ... the thlingan Hol then my translation.
>
> QoQ lIngqa'wI'
> I am resuming production of QoQ (anyone fill me in on what QoQ is?)

<QoQ> is music. It comes from the book _Klingon for the Galactic
Traveller_.

What you have said here is "one who resumes production of music." The
verb suffix <-wI'> means "one who does" or "one who is" or "thing which
does". It's a lot like the English suffix "-er", as in "writer" or
"painter" or "lurker".

You need to put a prefix on your verb. In this case, since the subject
is "I", and the object is <QoQ>, you need the prefix <vI->.

QoQ vIlIngqa'

> teSwIj
> No idea

You've just said "my ear" (actually, just the internal part of the ear;
not the external part - that is <qogh>). The word for idea is <qeS>.
What do you mean by "no idea", anyway.

> janmeyramvaD mu'na' wIghajbe' vaj vIDel.
> word by word (small devices for _mu'na'_ I haven't so described you)
> So you haven't described the words for small devices ???????

<janmeyramvaD> should be <janmeyvamvaD>. The suffix <-vam> means "this"
or "these".

Now for the translation. It's easiest to break the sentence up into
smaller pieces if possible. To start with, the <vaj> is a conjunction
joining two smaller sentences - <janmeyvamvaD mu'na' wIghajbe'> and
<vIDel>.

The first sentence has a bit with <-vaD> at the beginning, so we can
translate that as "... for these devices ...". The rest of the sentence
is <... mu'na' wIghajbe'> - "We don't have definite words ...".

The second sentence <vIDel> means "I describe it/them", and the
"it/them" must be the devices from the first sentence. Pasting the whole
thing back together, you get:

We don't have definite words for these devices, so I will describe them.

> As you can see I am translating the messages in this list
> while learning the grammar and remembering the words and
> ... and ... . It's great fun  but frustrating when you
> just can't work something out.
>
> Can some help with the above?

That's my job.

pagh