tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 30 07:53:45 1998

RE: Ha'DIbaHHom

lab K'ryntes:

>>> QapDaq "kitten" tu'pu'.
>> tu' 'Iv? nuqDaq tu'?
>>
>> <Qap> is a verb meaning "work, function, succeed", so
>> <QapDaq> cannot mean anything. I'm not sure what you
>> mean here.
>
> I meant to say I found a kitten at work.  I thought since Daq
> could mean "at" and Qap meant "work"  I could use them to say
> "at work".

Ah. Well, <-Daq> is a noun suffix, so it can only be applied to nouns.
Fortunately, we do have a noun meaning something like "workplace":
<yaH>, which is defined as "duty station".

Also, the correct word for "work" in the sense of doing a job is <vum>,
which means "work, toil".

>> You also wanted to say that YOU found the kitten.
>>
>> Finally, there is a Klingon animal <vIghro'> which is close
>> enough to a cat that many of just use the word to mean "cat".
>> It's sort of like calling a panda a bear, even though it
>> technically is not.
>>
>> Here's what this sentence should be:
>>
>> <somewhere>-Daq vIghro' Qup vItu'pu'.

yaHwIjDaq vIghro' Qup vItu'pu'.

>>> ghaH pol vIneH.
>> Klingons refer to animals (even pets) as <'oH>, not <ghaH>,
>> but you can drop the pronoun if you want to. You also need
>> to say YOU want to keep it:
>>
>> vIpol vIneH.
>>
>>> vISo' mong.
>> I understand that you hid it, but I have no idea what the
>> the <mong> is doing there.
>
> I couldn't figure out what I meant with this either until I
> looked it up in TKD and saw that "neck" is just below
> "necessary" in the word list.  I meant to say, "It is necessary
> that I hide her."  I just made an error when I looked it up.

qay'be'. However, we have a tool to express this idea in Klingon: the
suffix <-nIS>. <vISo'nIS> means "I needed to hide her".

maj. bIghoj 'e' yImevQo'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level