tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 29 14:12:33 1998

Re: Help

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, K'ryntes wrote:

>[Voragh] wrote:
>
>> >i have tried to get off the list but i wasn't able to if someone could
>> >give me instrutions that make sense it would help alot.  thanx.
>>
>> Take a look at the X-Comment field, which is attached to each and every
>> message you've received from the listserv:
>
>I don't see an X-Comment field on the posts I receive. Maybe that's just
>with certain servers?

Not the server, but the program you read your email with.  That you don't
*see* an X-Comment field on the posts you receive doesn't mean they're not
attached.  Most email programs suppress - or can be configured by the user to
suppress - all but the most basic headers (From, To, Date, Subject, etc.).
Usually this is a good thing, as these other "garbage headers" (as they are
called in Eudora) record such fascinating information as message routing, the
various codings used by the sender, the sender's Organization, email program,
etc. In this case, the X-Comment field is actually something people can use
from time to time.  Another field which is sometimes useful to see is the
Reply-To, which often lists the name of the mailing list which forwarded a
particular post.

Take a few minutes to find out how to tell your email program how to "show
full headers", "reveal all headers", etc. just to see what you're missing.
This can come in handy in trying to figure out where an annoying and
off-topic piece of spam (is there any other kind) or advertisement came from
or, at least, how you got a copy of it.

>Anyway, I had a question and was pointed in your direction, Voragh.

As the Vulcans say, "The honor is to serve."

>What would the plural of porgh be?

Okrand has stated several times that {-mey} is *not* used for body parts,
except (occasionally) by Klingon poets.  So, I would say {porghDu'} - using
{-Du'}, the plural suffix for body parts.  That the body parts in question
can be from more than one creature is shown by:

  Soch QuchDu'
  Seven foreheads (CK)

and

  targhlIj yab tIn law' no'lIj Hoch yabDu' tIn puS!
  Your targ has a bigger brain than all your ancestors put together! (PK)
   (lit. "the brains of all your ancestors")

At least for "body" in the anatomical sense.  If you mean the body - as
opposed to the head, arms and legs - the correct word is {ro} "trunk (of
body), torso" and again I'd say {roDu'} for more than one. OTOH, if you mean
a dead body, then use {lom} "corpse".  Here I would say {lommey} since
Klingons view dead bodies as merely empty shells, inanimate things to be
disposed off.

This question has been argued here before; Okrand has never used any of these
words in the plural.

Voragh

Back to archive top level