tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 29 09:48:45 1998

Re: KLBC Ha'DIbaHHom

Kirneh wrote:
>HaDIbaH is generic "animal". Humans and Klingans both use "animal" as
>an insult from time to time.

Beware the dangers of being over-literal when translating from one language
(let alone alien culture) to another!

{verengan Ha'DIbaH} is called "a classic insult" in KCD, with Okrand further
commenting: "This phrase literally means 'Ferengi animal,' but translating it
as 'Ferengi dog' carries more of the flavor of the insult."

Other examples of {Ha'DIbaH} used as a epithet:

Kruge, whose gunner destroyed the target (failing to merely disable it as
ordered), called him {Ha'DIbaH} after blasting him with his disruptor. (ST3)

Worf has been accused of his father having aided the Romulans in the Khitomer
massacre. When K'mpec reveals to him that the traitor in fact was Duras'
father, Ja'rod, he points at Duras and shouts, "This {Ha'DIbaH} should have
been fed to the dogs!"  (Sins of the Father)

Duras and Gowron are both anxious to fight each other for the leadership of
the High Council, but before that can be done, Picard must, as the Arbiter of
Succession, formally name them as candidates. As Picard enters, Duras says,
"The Council must have a leader now! Complete the rite so I can kill this
{Ha'DIbaH}!  (referring to Gowron)" (Reunion)

Jadzia is persuading old Kor to convince Kang and Koloth to take her with
them to kill the Albino. Kor says he can't convince Kang if he has made up
his mind but Jadzia says he can. Kor falls into self-pity, saying that his
best days are behind him. Jadzia comforts him by saying that in her memories
he is a great warrior, and leaves. Kor, touched, mutters, "you devious little
*hadeebah*". (Blood Oath)

(Admittedly, some actors pronounce this better than others.)

--
Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level