tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 28 18:02:17 1998

RE: jIghojtaH

Welcome to the list, Tony.

My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners Grammarian. It's my job
to help beginners who are learning Klingon. Whenever you have a message
you want me to look at, mark it for my attention by putting "KLBC" in
the subject line and I will reply.

lab Tony:
> tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH
> I am learning the Klingon language
maj.

> jIQaHnIS
> I need help

Not quite. You said "I need to help (something)."  You could try to say
"I need someone to help me" or "I require assistance". However, the best
thing to do is just say what a Klingon would say: <HIQaH>, or "help me".
This is not considered rude or presumptuous. Klingons favor directness.

> choghItlhqang 'a'
> will you write me?

There is no space before the <-'a'>. Otherwise this is fine.
qaQaHqangtaH.

> I am currently at lesson 5 and eagerly awaiting the
> next. I would like to correspond in tlhIngan Hol to
> sharpen my conversational skills.
> (what little I have at this point)

> tlhIngan Hol cha' DIch HolwIj vIneH
> I want Klingon to be my second language

To start with, there is no space between <cha'> and <-DIch>. Second,
this is a bit complicated. The <vIneH> part here is correct, but
everything before it is a bit jumbled. What you said was "I want Klingon
(language) my language second." What you want to say is that you want
Klingon to be your second language, or even better, to become your
second language. This is a fairly simple sentence to construct. First
the verb: <moj> - "become". The subject is <tlhIngan Hol>, and the
object is <HolwIj cha'DIch>. Note that the ordinal goes after the noun
in Klingon. Finally, you put <vIneH> on the end to mean "I want that
...". See TKD section 6.2.5 for more information on this. Here's what
you end up with:

HolwIj cha'DIch moj tlhIngan Hol vIneH.

> yIn Qapla' je
> Life and Success